Who Gets Federal Aid for College: The 9 Eligible Categories

Who Gets Federal Aid for College

So what is the main difference between a grant and a scholarship? To put it simply the grants are need-based while scholarships are merit-based but both are known under slang term gift-aid money. As a student your aim is to use all the aid sources for your own advantage and better quality education. Federal grants are meant to support students attending universities, four year colleges, community colleges or career schools.

Besides the ordinary federal grant there is also a Federal Pell Grant and Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. If one of your parents died in the Afghanistan war or in the 9/11 terrorist attack And students with learning disabilities are eligible to enroll for the Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study programs, and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant in certain circumstances.

Of course most grants are designated for the students with limited financial possibilities but even if you and your family have a certain level of income you might still be eligible.

Just fill in your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and cooperate with your college or career school to find out how much you could get.

Do You Fall Into One Of These?

So who gets federal aid for college? Let us look through the list of students able to get federal aid money. Do not worry you will definitely find yourself into one of these categories:

  1. You should have a high school diploma or be homeschooled according to the state law requirements or have a General Educational Development Certificate.
  2. You are either enrolled or accepted for enrollment in your chosen degree or certificate program. You should be enrolled as a regular student.
  3. If you are a male between 18 and 25 you must be registered for the Selective Service.
  4. You need to have a valid social security number. Students coming from the Republic of Palau, Marshall Islands or Federated States of Micronesia.
  5. FAFSA where you need to state that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe a refund on the federal grant and that you will only use federal student aid for the educational purposes.
  6. Keep up the satisfactory academic progress.
  7. You are either a US citizen or a US national. No matter if you were born in the US, obtained that status through the naturalization or have been born abroad to the US citizens. If you are born on the American Samoa or Swains Island you are a US national.
  8. Or you have a green card proving that you are a permanent US resident.
  9. Or you have an arrival-departure record from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services that proves you are one of the following: • Cuban-Haitian entrant
    • Conditional entrant
    • Parolee
  10. You have a Bettered Immigrant Status aka battered immigrant-qualified alien meaning you are a victim of abuse by your own citizen or permanent residential spouse or you are a child of a woman designated as such under the Violence against Women and Children Aid.
  11. You or your parents have a T-Visa

Let Nothing Stop You

There are a few other things you have to keep in mind even after you have received your federal aid. There are a few things that can ruin your reputation and prevent you from being eligible for the grant. Once you are a student remember that the following deeds might strip you of all the financial aid:

  • If you have had a criminal conviction, you have been charged for a drug offence or you are on the involuntary civil commitment after completing an incarceration for the sexual offence period. Your chances of getting the federal aid are limited.
  • If you are already in default on a federal student loan you are not eligible to receive a grant.
  • And if you do not keep on track with your studies and you have a satisfactory academic progress.

Also you need to make sure to finish your education as in case you pull out of school before the enrollment period such as a semester you will have to pay back the part of your grant.

Remember to fill in your FAFSA every year and work hard on your degree and the luck will definitely be on your side. So who gets federal aid for college? Now that we have the question answered we wish you all the luck in obtaining your grant and remember to send us your graduation photo.


1 2

Ξ More

4 Steps to Becoming a Student
4 Ways to Finance Higher Education
6+ Ways to Beat the Detector
The 9 Eligible


Institutional category:

2‑year Public Private not-for-profit
4‑year Private for‑profit Primarily associate's

Total Students:

Min Max

International Students:

Min Max

International Students (% of Total):

Min Max

Privacy Policy Terms of Use Disclaimer Contact Us